This week is all about the Senate trial. Please continue to put maximum pressure on the Senate to have a fair trial that includes witnesses and new evidence.
1) Rally People in Maine, Colorado, etc.: Indivisible has brought back its hub dialer so that you can call people in swing states to help them call their Senators. This is much more effective than directly calling Senators who are not our own, because Senators ultimately care about being reelected by their constituents. You can learn more information and sign up here: https://act.indivisible.org/signup/impeachment-senate-calls/.
2) Menendez and Booker: Keep calling our own Senators Menendez and Booker so that they know how their constituents feel. Even though it is likely they will vote to convict and remove President Trump from office, it is important that they can cite statistics about how overwhelmingly their constituents feel about Trump trying to cheat in the 2020 election. Senator Booker has released his notes on important impeachment-related documents here: https://www.booker.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1052. Read them to see how seriously he is taking his role as juror/judge.
3) The 2020 Election: Now is a good time to make sure that you, your family, and your friends are registered to vote and know when their primary and election days are. https://www.rockthevote.org has some great resources, including a tool to ensure that you are registered and information about how to register if you aren’t.
4) Support the Media: NPR was attacked by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo this week (https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/emails-support-npr-host-after-pompeo-calls-her-a-liar-in-setting-up-contentious-interview/2020/01/26/d793cf0e-4071-11ea-b503-2b077c436617_story.html). Meanwhile, our media continues to reveal the depths of corruption of the Trump administration. Most recently, the NY Times reported that Bolton’s book draft alleges that Trump directly told Bolton that the Ukraine aid was dependent on Ukraine investigating the Bidens (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/us/politics/trump-bolton-book-ukraine.html). This week is a good one to up your NPR donations and subscriptions to investigative media!
Quote of the week:
“Impeachment doesn’t undo elections
The folks who “created” elections created impeachment—in the same document
If impeachment DID undo an election, it wouldn’t exist at all. When would it NOT undo an election?
It’s a vital check on the President in our nation’s balance of power”
– Joanne Freeman, Yale historian and expert on 18th century American history, https://twitter.com/jbf1755/status/1219829680615972864